Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"True Affection" The Blow

More Portland. Khaela Maricich & Jona Bechtolt prove that you don't need bells and whistles when you've got good ideas. While most electro-pop acts are piling on the layers, The Blow have an uncanny intuition of where to stop. Particularly in this song, you can almost hear a digital wind blowing (BLOWing?) through the track, lifting Khaela's broken-hearted lament above the casio bleeps and 808 claps. Whoah, did I just write that? I must really like these guys.

"True Affection" The Blow (BUY IT)

PS I've adopted a new sharing system. I'll be using box.net to host mp3 so I don't have to rely on outside links. Also, I've added this nifty little widget on the right so you can play the songs right off this page. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Mata Hari said...

Hurray! The Blow.

Thanks again Cam. I saw these guys at Richards on Richards a few years back. They opened for that AC Newman choir band. I went because I was seeing this new boy who's friends were going to the show. I didn't really like the AC Newmanites (actually left early) but I was completely taken with The Blow. I turned into this slathering fangirl. I bought the Love Songs LP even though I didn't own a turntable and ended up talking to Jona about his cat.

I watched for awhile to see if they'd come out with a new album but gave up when I couldn't find anything.

*eagerlyawaitskrecordsdelivery*